Η ΕΞΕΓΕΡΣΗ ΤΗΣ ΜΟΝΗΣ ΧΡΥΣΟΡΡΩΓΑΤΙΣΣΑΣ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΗΝ ΤΟΥΡΚΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ
Από τα πρώτα χρόνια της Τουρκοκρατίας στην Κύπρο Τούρκοι εγκαταστάθηκαν στο χωριό Λαπηθιού το οποίο βρίσκεται κοντά στη Μονή της Παναγίας της Χρυσορρωγιάτισσας. Εγκαταστάθηκαν πρώτα ως μισθωτοί της Μονής και αργότερα ως κύριοι και μετέτρεψαν τον Ιερό Ναό του Αγίου Κηρύκου του χωριού σε τζαμί. Κατά το 1794 έγινε εξέγερση κατά των Τούρκων κάτω από την υποκίνηση του Ηγουμένου της Μονής, Ιωακείμ. Ο Χατζή Γεώργης από το χωριό Πάνω Παναγιά που ήταν επί κεφαλής των μοναχών και των Ελλήνων κατοίκων των γύρω χωριών αποκατέστησε τη Χριστιανική λατρεία στον βεβηλωμένο Ναό και κατέλαβε επίσης το τσιφλίκι του χωριού το οποίο είχε περιέλθει εξ αρπαγής στη κατοχή του Τούρκου Σουλεϊμαν Χαλέρι και των κληρονόμων του. Η Οθωμανική Κυβέρνηση αντέδρασε αμέσως και η εξέγερση καταπνίγηκε. Με αυτοκρατορικό διάταγμα διατάχθηκε η αποκεφάλιση του αρχηγού της εξέγερσης Χατζή Γεώργη, η απόδοση του τζαμιού στη κοινότητα της Λαπηθιούς, και η επιστροφή του τσιφλικού στους δικαιούχους. Οι Τούρκοι δεν θανάτωσαν τον Ηγούμενο Ιωακείμ σεβόμενοι την ηλικία του. Το Ελληνικό χωριό Λαπηθιού που με αυτό τον τρόπο έγινε Τουρκικό σήμερα είναι ακατοίκητο.
The magnificent and beautiful historic Monastery of the Virgin Mary (Panagia) Chrysorrogiatissa is about two kilometres southwest of the village of Pano Panayia in Paphos. The Monastery took its name from the icon of the Virgin Mary which offers golden milk from golden breast nipples and that's why she is called Chrysogalaktousa and Chrysorrogiatissa. Today however, perhaps out of puritan modesty, it is mistakenly explained to tourists but also to Cypriots, that it is called so because it is named after a golden pomegranate, or because it is built on a mountain by the name of Rogia. The venerated and miraculous icon of Panagia Chrysorogiatissa whο is holding Christ from the right arm is of the Panagia Eleousa type and is believed to be one of the seventy icons which were painted the Evangelist Luke. According to tradition, the icon was thrown into the sea of Isafria in Cilicia by a pious woman during the iconoclastic period in order to save it from destruction. The waves brought it to the little port of the village of Acheleia, known as Moulia, in Paphos and stayed in a small cave for 400 years. During the 15th of August (day of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary) of 1152, the hermit Ignatios guided by a big light, found the icon and took it to his hermitage at the mountain of Kremasti. By the designation of the Virgin Mary Ignatios transferred the icon from his hermitage and build the first small Monastery of Chrysorrogiatissa at the location where it is found today. During old times, the Monastery was a poor holding belonging to the Kykkos Monastery, but it became independent when Bishop of Paphos was Saint Panaretos (1768-1790), who took the initiative in 1768 and built the present church of the Monastery, which is a single-roomed basilica, replacing the old small church. In the years of the Ottoman rule and the early years of British rule the Monastery of Chrysorrogiatissa was in possession of large amount of land and olive trees in the villages of the provinces of Paphos, Lemasol and Larnaca and had two small holdings, one of each at the cities of Nicosia and Lemasol. Gradually however, most of the land was lost and its real estate assets were greatly reduced. On October 24, in 1967, the Monastery was burned down but was rebuild according to the original building. In the present time, the Monastery does not have any monks but the Abbot of the Monastery, Archinadrite Dionysios, is staying there. There is a winery at the monastery which dates from 1751. Today the wine of the Monastery is considered of excellent quality having won several prizes in international competitions. Of great importance to the history of the Monastery is the engraving box of the icon of Panagia Chrysorrogiatissa having ten miniature engravings on the box cover telling the story about the foundation of the Monastery and the miracles of the Virgin. It had been ordered by Ioakim (1794-1821) to the religious painter, John Kornaro from Crete, who was then working in Cyprus. These engraved images are depicting the story of the icon which was painted by Apostle Luke and its miraculous transportation to Cyprus as well as depicting six other miracles. Three of the miracles depicted on the icon box refer to people who were prominent in the ecclesiastical and political life of the island during the 18th century. Τhe first miracle refers to Archbishop Chrysanthos and the Mitropolites of Paphos Panaretos, Meletios of Kition, and Sofronios of Kyrenia, who had in 1783 taken a journey to Constantinople seeking the replacement of the Ottoman governor of Cyprus, Hadji Bakki Aga,who was famous for his cruelty. As the features of the engravings depict, the ship carrying the Hierarchs was exposed to rough waves in the sea and was about to sink. However, after invoking the help of the Virgin Mary, the sea storm passed and the Hierarchs were saved. Τhe second miracle concerns the Metropolitan of Kition Meletios, who was detained in Constantinople by an Ottoman admiral.He was saved, but only after he invoked the help of the Mother of God. Τhe third miracle refers to the Dragoman of the island, Hadjigeorgakis Kornesios, who became witness in both Cyprus and Constintinople to the threats of the Ottomans. However, the Mother of God strengthened and helped him to escape from his enemies. Τhe fourth miracle, which is depicted in the engravings involves a heretical woman who tried to enter the church of Chrysorrogiatissa. However, she was barred from entering by an angel holding a large sword. The woman then realized the error she committed, and after taking confession, she entered the church as an Orthodox Christian, and kissed the icon of the mother of God. Τhe fifth miracle refers to the miraculous salvation of a Christian by the Virgin Mary, who was unjustly imprisoned by the conquerors who were forcing him to change his religion. From then on the Virgin Mary (Panagia) of Chrysorrogiatissa, became the guardian for convicts who seek her compassion and pray to her for escape of arrest, or by sending a member of their family to plead to her for a lighter sentence. In regards to the last miracle, it's about a woman who almost went blind but was cured by the Virgin Mary. Like the icon of the Virgin Mary of Kykkos Monastery, the icon of the Virgin Mary of Chrysorrogiatissa is also covered by veil and nobody is allowed to see her.T he icon of Christ in the Monastery of Chrysorrogiatissa cures leprosy.
ΤΗΕ REVOLT OF CHRYSORROGATISSA DURING TURKISH RULE
From the early years of the Turkish occupation of Cyprus, Turks settled in the village of Lapithiou, which is near the Monastery of the Virgin mary of Chrysorrogiatissa. They first settled as employees of the monastery and later as Masters, turning the Holy Church of Saint Kirykas in the village into a mosque. During 1794, a revolt against the Turks took place under the instigation of the Abbot of the monastery, Ioakeim. Hadji Georgis from the village of Pano Panagia, who was the leader of the monks and the Greek inhabitants of the surrounding villages, restored the profaned church back to Christian worship, and also captured the manor or estate of the village which had come in possession of a plundering Turk by the name of Souleiman Chaleri and his heirs . The Ottoman government reacted immediately and the uprising was crushed. By imperial decree it was ordered that the head of the leader of the revolt, Hadji Giorgis, be cut off, the return of the mosque to the community of Lapithiou, and the return of the estate to their rightful owners. The Turks did not kill Abbot Ioakim, respecting his old age. The Greek village of Lapithiou which thus became Turkish is currently uninhabited.